Sunday, December 28, 2008

I love Christmas

I love all Christmases, but I'd say this one has been pretty high on my list of all-time awesome Christmases. We left Gainesville on the 20th to go to my parents' house in Palm Bay, cats in tow, and got to spend time with Suzanne and Mike, plus my aunt Margaret and uncle Bill from Nebraska, and my aunt Melissa and cousin Wil from Alabama, and both of my grandmothers, and my traveling buddy Debra. I know so many people dread spending extended amounts of time with their families during the holidays, but I seriously think my family is fantastic. I love spending time with them. Everyone gets along, and we all have a good time. I think even my dad, who is a hardcore introvert, has fun, because he can retreat to his music studio when he needs to recharge. On the 23rd, we went with Suzanne, Mike, Debra, Melissa and Wil to the Magic Kingdom, which was part of Wil's Christmas present (he's 13, so spending two days at Disney is still cool for him - hell, I think it would still be cool for me. I love Disney). On Christmas Eve we all ate barbecue, and on Christmas morning we opened presents together, and my amazing husband got me a MacBook! Yay! It is so pretty and user-friendly and I love it. I got him a hiking GPS, so we can go geocaching. He was really excited about it, so I think this is one of our more successful gift-giving Christmases. Now that I have a job, we can actually afford to buy each other something nice.

We came up to Live Oak, FL (about 45 minutes south of the Georgia border) the day after Christmas to see Cary's family, who are also great. We overlapped one night with Cary's brother Jamey and his family, which was just enough time to enjoy each other's company, but not so much time that we all felt cramped together in the house. Yesterday we mostly watched back episodes of Lost - all the seasons are online, and people keep telling us we need to watch them, so we watched one and got totally hooked. Now we're trying to watch all four seasons before season 5 starts at the end of next month. We love it - we watch and watch and watch, and then discuss where we think they really are. At the end of season 1, which is how far we've watched, I think they're in purgatory. But please, no one leave me any comments telling me if I'm right or not. I'd rather watch and learn.

So all in all, great Christmas. We're heading back to Gainesville later this week, and back to real life, but for now, I am going to stay in my pajamas for another hour or so, play with my MacBook, and watch 18 billion episodes of Lost. Then we might geocache. Or just watch more Lost. Or geocache while discussing Lost. I'm really up for anything.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a truly lovely Christmas!

    I (like you) caught on to Lost a bit late. My brother and his wife got me hooked, and I watched the first three seasons over the month before Season 4 started last year. It gets better with each passing episode! You do get spoiled though watching four seasons without commercials and without having to wait for the next episode. When Season 5 airs, you'll see how tough it is to wait for the next clue! I know that you're watching online, but one day you may want to rent the DVDs. They have some neat extras about how the show is filmed and how they decide where the story is going.

    Sorry to babble on. Can you tell I am addicted to Lost? Merry fifth day of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so addicted to Lost too! That's a good idea about the DVDs. We were just talking about how much we think the writers had already decided at the beginning and how much they make up as they go. We're near the end of season 2, after two solid days of watching - yay Christmas break! I'm so intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had known you and Cary were into geocaching. AJ and I have done it all over Gainesville. There are some fun ones there. We also have tried it around Wakulla and Orlando. There is one that you should try in Gainesville called, "Our tax dollars at work." Every time we tried that one we either got distracted or other people would show up.

    I also wish I had known you were coming to Orlando, I would have loved to just stopped by and said, "Hi." I miss ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just started geocaching - some friends of ours from England introduced us to it this fall, and I got Cary a GPS for Christmas. We will check out the tax dollars cache.

    We would have loved to have seen y'all in Orlando. The two days we were there were pretty packed though - one day at Disney and one field trip to IKEA. We just got your Christmas card - very cute! Good to see y'all are doing well.

    ReplyDelete