Thursday, March 26, 2009

Language lessons

I decided last week that it would be fun to learn some basic phrases in all of my students' languages. My students get a giant kick out of listening to me butcher their mother tongues, which for me is the whole point of doing it - they enjoy being the teacher for a few minutes everyday. The hard part is that among my 30ish students, there are eight languages to account for. I do pretty well with Spanish, French, and Portuguese, and am not half bad at Japanese, but Arabic, Chinese, Korean, and Sinhalese are hard. The Arabic-speaking men in my classes are the best cheerleaders; they try to think of mnemonic devices to help me and nod encouragingly as I try to cough and wheeze my way through some of the more difficult sounds. So far, this is what I have learned to say - good morning, goodbye, and thank you in eight languages:

Spanish: buenos dias, adios, gracias (I minored in Spanish, so this was a freebie.)
French: bonjour, au revoir, merci
Portuguese: bon dia, chau, obrigado
Japanese: ohayou, sayonara, arigato
Arabic: sabah al kheer, ma'a salama, shokran (one of my students said to think of "sugar" + "ran")
Chinese: zao shang, zai jian, xie xie (the intonation is the hardest part)
Korean: an-yong, an-yong (with different intonation), kam-sa-ham-ni-da
Sinhalese: suba udesanak, tata, stuti

Aren't I accomplished? Eight languages! Now if only I could remember all of them all the time...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed! I now know what Maria was saying at work when she would say into the phone, "obrigado, obrigado, obrigado." I learned something, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've never even heard of Sinhalese.

    ReplyDelete