Friday, January 16, 2009

Debriefing

So now I'm at the end of the first week of classes, and I have some time to catch my breath. The first week went pretty well. Points of interest:

1. My reading/writing class is really low. Like, I'm having to define words like "process" and "war" for them. Their listening and speaking abilities are really low too. I have to talk... like... this. After class today, I went back to my office and started explaining to my office mate about the space heater I brought in... and I talked... super... slow... until I realized he spoke English.

2. My reading/writing textbook is organized weirdly. Instead of focus on one reading strategy at a time, it focuses on like, six. I'm not sure I like this.

3. Holy level-changing students, Batman! We sometimes have to move students around after class starts, if it's apparent that they would be better suited to a higher or lower level class. I usually have one or two. But this semester, I had two move up out of my class, one move up into my class, and two move down into my class. Combine that with the fact that half the class can't seem to make it to school at 8:30, and I have a class I feel like I barely know.

4. My advanced academic spoken English class is all men. Six guys, four from the Middle East. I always wonder with Middle Eastern men think about being taught by a woman - I know in many countries, men and women go to separate schools. I was a little intimidated at first, but they all seem laid-back and ready to learn. It's a little strange being the only girl in the room though - even my language assistant is a guy. But on the other hand, I always have the women's room to myself.

5. We had a bunch of students register late, so I get to add another class starting next week, which brings me up to... full-time hours!

So all in all, things are pretty good. Tomorrow morning I'm interviewing for a full-time lecturer position at the ELI. I know whatever is supposed to work out will work out, but I'm still a little nervous - I didn't really have to have a formal interview for the job I have now - I got a teaching assistantship and then stayed on after graduation. So that said, I need to go practice my presentation. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment